Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Starting thread for this week.

Jim

Do Not Archive

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Well Jim I am pleased to report I have been doing some flying.

My oldest son has been staying with me and our first flight was from home ( just West of Brisbane Queensland) to Rockhampton (on Tropic of Capricorn) and return. A bit over two hours each way.

Second trip was a short out and return Southwest to Clifton on the Western side of the Great Dividing Range.

Third run was a 2.5 hr circumnavigation of Brisbane in a clockwise direction going over Somerset Dam, Bribie Island, over Moreton Bay to Cape Moreton (the Northern most tip of Moreton Island) then down the full extent of the island.

After crossing another small amount of water, we then rounded Point Lookout (named by Captain Cook in 1770). Point Lookout is the Northern most tip of Stradbroke Island where much mineral sands have been mined since I was a kid. We then cut across the island to fly over several of the Moreton Bay islands before returning home via the South of Brisbane and Amberley restricted airspace.
All in all, quite a picturesque trip.

This morning we did another short out and return North to Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield formatting with a De Havilland Chipmunk on the way back. While he was guzzling around 35 LPH of AVGAS, we were sipping 11.5 LPH of unleaded Mogas. IOW, it was costing him about 4.5 times as much as us for fuel.

Sorry Jim, these flights have been conducted over the last week so don’t strictly fall within your quoted timeframe.

Happy flying to all

Kingsley in Oz

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 1 Feb 2022, at 11:43 am, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

Starting thread for this week.

Jim

Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=505869#505869

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Work continues…albeit at a snail’s space.

After triple checking my wiring harness and searching the various forums for a solution to the problem I was having with the Garmin G5 not recognizing the ARINC 429 module I contacted Garmin support, and to my surprise received a call back. Apparently a known software bug which the most recent version resolved. You would think with a new unit it would have had the latest software installed. 😕

Mission creep has set in and other project have been added to the list which are extending the completion date of my panel upgrade.

One, I am sure will be worthwhile in the end, is adding speed compensating trim with relay deck as well as auto trim for the AP via the Dynon autopilot interface. I originally installed the MAC speed controller which has worked reasonable well. I have it turned down to the lowest setting which still results in the pitch trim being too sensitive at cruise and way too slow at pattern speeds.

Planning for the eventual 406 ELT installation, I am running power and a serial cable from the new Garmin GPS 175 to provide GPS data to the ELT. Of course, I thought of this after completing the wiring harness for the GPS175. Oh well, at least I still had it on the bench.

I am also adding a dedicated Ident button for the Dynon transponder that I am relocating to the baggage bay.

Lastly, I am replacing 20 plus year old RG58 coax with RG400 for the com radio and transponder antennas.

Oh, the fun never ends.

Erich
N28ET
Classic Mono 914

https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag695&promoCode=A34454

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

I think I completed the installation of the new engine and have flown it a couple of hours. As Erich said, the fun never ends and I believe that to be true Smile

With the new engine I also installed an MGL EMS-1 Vega (2-1/4”). A bit small but my eyes can still take it (well, with the help of bi-focals). I got it mainly because the new engine has a new current oil pressure sender and the original Europa gage, which I liked, wont work with it. The new engine also has dual coolant temp. I left the original coolant temp for one of the old gages and used the MGL for oil press, oil temp, one coolant temp and fuel pressure. Since the MGL EMS-1 also has a RPM and 8 thermocouple channels I added two EGTs and connected the tach to that unit. Kept the analog tach with the cable and connector next to the new one in the engine bay in case the EMS-1 quits in the middle of a trip.

Time will tell if it is a good unit or not but for the price and the features it’s pretty nice. So far I like it.

Chris

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Hi Chris,MGL is very reliable and dependable. I have had the MGL iEFIS Lite touchscreen for 8 years or more and not a single problem. Their websites are excellent, for help and updates. Like you I have to have glasses as age has caught up. The CAN bus system with an ibox is very clever. Easy to install and I had to get an MGL oil pressure sensor.
Good luck with the build.
Tim

Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 3/02/2022, at 3:44 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com>

I think I completed the installation of the new engine and have flown it a couple of hours. As Erich said, the fun never ends and I believe that to be true Smile

With the new engine I also installed an MGL EMS-1 Vega (2-1/4”). A bit small but my eyes can still take it (well, with the help of bi-focals). I got it mainly because the new engine has a new current oil pressure sender and the original Europa gage, which I liked, wont work with it. The new engine also has dual coolant temp. I left the original coolant temp for one of the old gages and used the MGL for oil press, oil temp, one coolant temp and fuel pressure. Since the MGL EMS-1 also has a RPM and 8 thermocouple channels I added two EGTs and connected the tach to that unit. Kept the analog tach with the cable and connector next to the new one in the engine bay in case the elms-1 kits in the middle of a trip.

Time will tell if it is a good unit or not but for the price and the features it’s pretty nice. So far I like it.

Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=505894#505894

<====================================================bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Tim. Good to hear as I do like the little unit.

And thanks for wishing me a good luck with the build but I’ve been flying my little mono for almost a year now and have 115 hours already Smile. It’s just that it seems it’s never done-done (but almost).

Btw, I have to admit that I struggled a little with the mono at the beginning but know I can say I’m really enjoying it. It’s really a blast to fly and now I look forward to every takeoff and landing. A friend in his RV-8 was flying formation with me last weekend and he made the comment that my airplane was really moving. Quite a compliment coming from an RV-8 pilot Smile. And that with a fixed pitch prop!

I’m looking forward to some good travels this year.

Chris

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Including Sun n Fun BTW.

DuaneFamly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

I didn't want to drive the 5 hour round trip from Chandler to Tucson to drop off our two doggies at a friend's house for them to watch for us while we are gone. So I decided to see how our Schnauzer Sallie and our Chihuahua Arti would take to flying.
The forecast was for winds 8-10 mph straight down the runway in the morning with winds increasing in the afternoon. So I decided to make the 45 min flight at about 10:30 and get back by 1 pm.
Something should have warned my when I got to the airport and the winds were already 13mph with gusts to 17. But they were still close to the runway heading.
I packed the dogs gear, strapped them into the passenger seat and was very happy the Arti didn't freak out when I started the engine. And was very happy when I went full throttle for take off.
The ride down was a little bumpy but mostly crossing over any hills. I arrived at Ryan Airport with their winds 10 degrees off the runway heading by at 15 with higher gusts. Landed without issue and taxied to the on-field restaurant plane parking. The dogs had to get out for a potty break. My friends were delayed by about 30 minutes but eventually arrived. Handoff completed, took off to get back before the winds picked up.
On the way back up, I started to notice all the dust devils out on the desert. Upon arrival, I was met with the ATIS announcing winds 45 degrees from the right at 20 with gusts to 25 mph. I knew I was in for an interesting landing. When I turned on final, I needed to really crab to the right to stay on the centerline. AND even though I slowed to 70 mph, she didn't want to start te descent until I added full flaps (2nd mistake). I carried just a bit more speed and she just floated above the runway like a drunken sailor. When I hadn't touched by midfield and unstable as heck, I chose to go around. My next attempt, I remembered to only use 1/2 flap (I fly a conventional gear with electric flaps), got to 70 mph and after passing the building near the end of the runway that seemed to cause the winds to roll and tumble, I was able to crab all the way down on the centerline, pull the throttle, kick the rudder and she touched and stayed.
This was the most demanding landing condition for me to date. I definitely do not want to do that again.

Whirlwind.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  784.56 KB
 Viewed:  2170 Time(s)

Whirlwind.jpg

Dogs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  2170 Time(s)

Dogs.jpg

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7 Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Be sure to get some hearing protection for those pups. Both Jethro and now Finn sit and wait for theirs before getting into the plane.

Jim & Heather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: