Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

Starting thread for this week.

Completed our condition inspection and a couple short test flights. A couple flights planned for later this week.

Jim

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am reworking my Dynon pitch servo installation. Having installed the servo as a retrofit, I chose the tunnel bulkhead (just aft of the Monowheel opening) as the mounting location. The servo is oriented vertically on the bulkhead with the push-pull rod pointed aft and connected directly to the pitch tube.

Unfortunately, the installation has performed poorly, with the pitch servo unable to hold altitude. With the plane trimmed out prior to engaging the AP she flys steady hands off. As soon as I engage the autopilot it start hunting with huge altitude excursion ensuing.

I talked with Dynon at SNF, and they suggested I check for play in the push-pull linkage and pitch tube control linkage. While I don’t have any play in the system, I did find that the tunnel bulkhead was flexing, which essentially has the same affect. This was surprising as the bulkhead is 3mm plywood with fiberglass on both sides.

So, I am fabricating a new bulk made from a 1/4” foam core with carbon fiber on both sides. Boy is this stuff rigid. I am also adding a couple of stiffeners which is probably overkill.

Well, more to come,
Erich

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

Hi All...

I’m focused upon repairing the damage suffered to my lower cowling as a consequence of my off-airport landing in some trees on 4/13/22 and the subsequent efforts to retrieve the aircraft which, although we had an excellent plan, poor execution resulted in some additional damage.

…taking things one bite at a time…

Fred
A-194 mono

Area-51

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

Five year hose change on the 912 plus all fuel lines from tank to firewall, fitted an Andair fuel valve, and carried out an annual... 50 hours of work cleaning up and rerouting stuff, fixing some very questionable work by the previous 2nd owner; some people should not be allowed near tools... the tunnel hoses were not fun; the original builder's work is awesome however no forethought had been put into this task; that's been rectified and set for the next 20 years... extended run up and a check flight after fuel pressure/flow testing.... Back in the air ready for some touring.

84663581-038A-4AF2-9B27-604B5157306F.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.88 KB
 Viewed:  1514 Time(s)

84663581-038A-4AF2-9B27-604B5157306F.jpeg

900C8A94-2B2B-4DEA-B0A9-2A90098703D5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.23 KB

900C8A94-2B2B-4DEA-B0A9-2A90098703D5.jpeg

38C6781D-CA81-40B3-85C1-A7EE96589CAC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.03 KB

38C6781D-CA81-40B3-85C1-A7EE96589CAC.jpeg

ECD699C2-59FB-4610-9D5D-62FE0151A11E.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.69 KB

ECD699C2-59FB-4610-9D5D-62FE0151A11E.jpeg

2E63DE98-8A85-49C7-B791-08E0DB3E8ABF.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.19 KB

2E63DE98-8A85-49C7-B791-08E0DB3E8ABF.jpeg

0B369B0A-7F8E-40D7-A8DE-CDE7A159EB59.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.52 KB

0B369B0A-7F8E-40D7-A8DE-CDE7A159EB59.jpeg

22555BA1-F904-47E9-867C-42E50EA02C7D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.52 KB

22555BA1-F904-47E9-867C-42E50EA02C7D.jpeg

4A634B16-9F33-4B25-BFB3-A6C2B3E627EC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.67 KB

4A634B16-9F33-4B25-BFB3-A6C2B3E627EC.jpeg

n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

I like the way things are sealed in the tunnel. Very clean. Mine is pretty much all open.

I get to breathe all the grass clippings when I land in sod runways Very Happy .

Chris

Area-51

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

[quote="n7188u"]I like the way things are sealed in the tunnel. Very clean. Mine is pretty much all open.

I get to breathe all the grass clippings when I land in sod runways :D .

Chris[/quote]

Yep, that's pretty much how they both were Chris; exposed... the return line was braided line and had never been changed; gave it a squeeze once removed and it cracked to pieces. It took three hours to remove both lines due to the way they'd been originally mounted. They are now both H/P fuel injection line with double layer sheath and standoff mounted for easy removal. They would probably be fine exposed but after extracting the old lines i didn't like the idea of needing to remove them ever again... since taking ownership of the aircraft and gradually finding what i have i can assume the previous owner would of experienced a string of engine failures relatively soon... glad i have managed to stay ahead of it all and save a good aircraft

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

It's a very good idea to inspect newly acquired used airplanes thoroughly. I once had an old certified airplane that took me 3 years to get it back to proper condition (and it was a flying airplane with current annual).

Also had a friend crashed his Pitts 1 week after acquiring it, with a fresh annual, because the engine quit right after takeoff due to a clogged fuel filter.

Never trust someone else's work ("Trust, but verify" goes the saying)

BTW, all my fuel lines are exposed in the tunnel but high quality Gates Barricade. I figure I'll change them in 5 years(ish) and they are not exposed to UV. But nothing wrong with what you did!

Chris

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

BTW, this week I did nothing to my airplane. How refreshing!!!!!

A morning breakfast flight planned for tomorrow.

But I still have to paint the darn thing. Oh well. Coming soon when I am not having so much fun flying it Smile

A nice picture I got form a friend a couple of weeks ago included.

Chris

IMG_0290.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  655.59 KB
 Viewed:  1448 Time(s)

IMG_0290.jpg

Area-51

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 6/6 - 6/13 Reply with quote

[quote="n7188u"]It's a very good idea to inspect newly acquired used airplanes thoroughly. I once had an old certified airplane that took me 3 years to get it back to proper condition (and it was a flying airplane with current annual).

Also had a friend crashed his Pitts 1 week after acquiring it, with a fresh annual, because the engine quit right after takeoff due to a clogged fuel filter.

Never trust someone else's work ("Trust, but verify" goes the saying)

BTW, all my fuel lines are exposed in the tunnel but high quality Gates Barricade. I figure I'll change them in 5 years(ish) and they are not exposed to UV. But nothing wrong with what you did!

Chris[/quote]

Thanks Chris, the plane looks great unpainted... also used Gates Barricade; the efi hose is a lot tuffer than the standard carburettor spec hose; all the oil lines are now Parker 7212 Push-On (Push-LokPlus is a higher spec hose and better choice for more rigid bends though).. i had a reputable LAME perform an annual upon purchase before ferrying it back, and then fully went over it myself performing point inspections and maintenance checks prior to further flying. It was sufficient but many things not to my standard. The undercarriage is good on visual and will be getting a deeper inspection once i make up a suitable service stand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: