Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Plastic Static Vent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Black Plastic Static Vent Reply with quote

Requesting the number of holes, their positioning and size please.

I accidentally and unknowingly pulled mine off with the pitot cover and it now lies somewhere in the dirt over 1000 nm from home. I would therefore like to make a new one.

Many thanks
Kingsley in Oz.

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Black Plastic Static Vent Reply with quote

Kingsley,

This happens all too often. It would be prudent to carry a spare in your flying tool kit. Another smart idea is an alternate static source (I have used the aircraft cockpit pressure in the Europa. Altitude was within 50 feet and speed within a couple knots.

Here are two fixes a couple of my clients made for a permanent solution.

Joe Like inserted a dome head short sheet metal screw into the end of the static tube. He then cross drilled the existing stainless tube (not easy to drill) with the smallest bit he could find. He used a #60 bit drilled at a 45 degree. Worked OK. I never flew the plane to verify A/S or altitude.

Another customer used 1/16 ID tube I had in the shop and another 1/4 inch OD tube and some JB Weld Epoxy. He inserted the thin tube into the existing pitot, using a number of my small numbered drill bits to open up the stainless to fit the small tube (about an 1/8 inch OD 1/16 ID). He then fit the 1/4 inch tube over the 1/8 OD tube. He assembled the tubes with a touch of JB Weld, rounded the tip, then cross drilled the soft aluminum tube (which was a lot easier to drill) with a #60 or .040 drill bit. Then he trimmed it to length installed. He worked 1/2 day on it plus cure time. Looks nice and is somewhat tougher.

Another idea was to use brass tubing from a hobby shop to make it up. Again, time consuming.

The main thing is the home made tube tip is roughly even with the pitot for length and looks. The hole position is no closer to the end of the round tip on the straight section at about 1 cm or 1/2 inch back for proper static measurement. Remember, there is no flow through a static port (or a pitot port for that matter) (IFR heated tubes and their vents excluded)). So, the size of the holes is small and tubing size is not terribly important other than for attaching. Hence the 1/8 ID flex tubing in the Europa is just fine, whereas your A&P and avionics types all complain there is no flow capability. Education of folks on pitot/static is tough.

You can look on line for pitot / static tube design. It may help explain why the static on a tube has to be so far behind the tip if you want to know.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n7188u

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Static Vent Reply with quote

Supposedly the holes should be 6x the diameter of the tube from the tip. My system suffers from low pressure on static line which results on high IAS at high speeds. Probably because the holes are in a low pressure area as the air separates from the tube because of the tip.

Anyway, thought of drilling holes on the steel farther back but a little afraid of buggering everything up so I ordered some 1/8" ID brass tubing and will reattach the original tip using the tube inside and some JB weld. My hope is that it will be a little stronger but with the negative consequence of gouging my head up worse next time Smile

Chris

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Black Plastic Static Vent Reply with quote

Bud, Ron and Chris

Thank you gentlemen for your sage advices.

I have been flying for almost four years with the static tubing disconnected from the probe and just lying in the wing so there is no real urgency to fix the problem.

My main reason for wanting to return the static probe to standard is based more on aesthetics than practicality.

Finally, a friend offered to turn up a new one for me from aluminium so I thought it best to have it the proper dimensions so that I can use it if I decide to go that way.

Thanks again and cheers
Kingsley

n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Static Vent Reply with quote

I fixed mine and ready for Saturday breakfast.

In my case I broke the static tip in the hangar and the piece was embedded in my skull so no need to make a new tip (well, just kidding, the piece was in the floor).

The fix was simple, the ID of the tip was exactly 1/8". Just ordered a hobby grade 1/8" OD brass tube, cut a small section and press fit into what is left of the plastic tip inside the pitot tube assembly and then press fit the black tip making sure not to block the holes. I did add a drop of CA glue but probably not doing anything. It is nice and tight though.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bud in that it would be wise to have a spare of some kind or make it easy to vent to the cockpit. One day I experimented with venting inside the cockpit and did not notice a difference with the outside vent.

Cheers,
Chris

IMG_1257 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.29 KB
 Viewed:  826 Time(s)

IMG_1257 (1).JPG

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Black Plastic Static Vent Reply with quote

Kingsley,
Glad to hear you are making a custom part.
For those leaving the static in the wing, I have found it is a crap shoot on how static the inside of the wing is.

The fuselage (behind the panel) seems to work best for an alternate static source.

Bud Yerly

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: