Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radial parts from Murphy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Radial parts from Murphy Reply with quote

Hello all,

For those using a radial on their Moose, how much of the engine components are available from Murphy and how much did you have to acquire from other sources? I'm looking at the current price list and they show the engine mount (with or without mounting ring), cowl, exhaust, oils system, and fuel system available. Are these kits complete, or does one have to go through other sources to get additional parts? For example, I don't see any reference to the air start system components. Is this system usually supplied by the engine vendor (air tank, solenoids, etc.) with the engine, or is it also an additional cost?

I'm trying to get an idea how much it costs to purchase/install this engine and its associated components, but don't have a clear picture.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List

ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial parts from Murphy Reply with quote

Chris,
I didn't use any of Murphy's kits (they weren't really available when I put my stuff together) but I have seen a few that did and the looked fairly complete. The oil system had the tank, oil cooler, cooler shroud, hoses etc. You can do it cheaper but then you have the hassle of finding all the individual parts.

No, the engines do not come with the air system as far as air storage tank and start solenoids. The engine does have the compressor on it but you need to get the storage tanks and start valves on your own. The Kimball's sell a nice air "kit" or you can get the parts on your own for that too. I am sure George has Russian air tanks, oil tanks etc as do the Hay's.

I got my Russian exhaust for about $1600 just a year and a half ago. Not sure what exhaust it is that MAM is selling but it seem very high $$. Of course if it is the slip joint aftermarket ones like the Kimball's are selling it is much nicer than the YAK exhaust - no leaks to contend with at the joints.

A few things on that MAM list are a waste - like the pitot kit - it is two dollar aluminum tube welded up. You can do way better on eBay for that. Also the strobe system is nice but good ones can be had for half the price.

I don't see them listing there carb heat/filter airbox on that list but they do have one of those too.

Have to run.
Hope that helps a little
Scott
Moose 174SL

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial parts from Murphy Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tips. I saw all the components from Mr. Kimball on his web site. It looks like he's got a nice assortment of good-to-have assemblies.

There is an air box of some sort on the Murphy site at http://www.murphyair.com/Accessories_C.html, but I'm not sure if it's the assembly you're referring to. Maybe that's cabin heat and not carb heat? Not sure... Not a very good description of what it's used for. Man, what a horrible web site...

Thanks again for your insight. I look at your site almost daily, as well as the referenced builders there, for doses of inspiration. It's going to be a while before I get the okay from my better half to start a project of this magnitude, but a guy has to dream Smile

Best regards,
Chris

ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial parts from Murphy Reply with quote

Yes that is the Murphy air box that mounts onto the bottom of the M14 Carb and then you have a place for an air filter and a hookup for carb heat. The cabin heat boxes come off the exhaust. Not sure if that exhaust MAM is showing is dual heat muffs or single. The YAK exhaust I have is just a single heat muff.

I can't argue - the MAM site is in bad shape. They hired a guy to fix it up and he got a good start (except for all that orange) and then he is gone now too. Rumor they have someone working on it. I can't say too much as I haven't exactly done much to mine lately - but then mine is just hobby - they really need theirs fixed.

Yes, you must have the dream...and the support of the better half. I would have never gotten this done without her support.

Take care,
Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: