Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vertical stab variations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Vertical stab variations Reply with quote

Good morning all,

Looking through a number of photos of completed Meese, I noticed a pretty significant difference in almost all of the vertical stabs, or at least the fairings leading up to them. Some were really quite tall, while others not. Why the variation? What benefits are realized by a larger surface area here?

I'm reading the current price list and in the available options I see a dorsal fin kit (which I presume is the fairing ahead of the vertical stab), a seafin kit (which I presume are the little wings I see on some horizontal stabs near the elevator hinges), and a ventral fin kit (which I presume goes beneath the vertical stab on the underside of the tail).

So, who among you are using a custom setup, and who has the one Murphy offers? Do I need to plan for some additional work here, or are all the parts there? I see that Scott did something custom here.

Are these parts replaceable/removable as the role of the aircraft changes (floats vs. wheels)?

Best regards,
Chris

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List

ScottA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vertical stab variations Reply with quote

If going not going on floats the standard fin fairing is fine, nothing else needed. It is the smallest one you see out there.

As you may already know on floats you need more vertical area to offset the yawing moments that can be produced by the floats sticking out in front of the CG. Without increased vertical stab area if you get a little yaw going the floats tend to increase the yaw and it feels bad.

Not sure what "dorsal" fin kit MAM is selling now but my guess it is the larger fiberglass one that you see on Mowat's Moose. (Email Nancy in shipping and see if she can send a picture?) A few of us (see Steve's and Ron's on my completion page) didn't like the look of that one (thought it didn't "flow" into the fin very well) so we copied the C-185 - and made it out of aluminum. The bottom ventral fin and stab sea fins are all just ways to increase the vertical area. Those are all removable, but generally the top fin fairing is not. Originally Montana Float came up with those on their installation.

Don't mean to try and be the shell answer man but stuck at the in-laws with bad wx and an internet connection...

Plus not much activity on this site, hopefully more Moose guys will find it and start using it.

Scott

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ScottA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vertical stab variations Reply with quote

The problem with using the forum to post - no auto spell and grammer checker.

Of course that first sentence was "If not going on floats.."

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vertical stab variations Reply with quote

Hehe... spell checker... good one Smile

I certainly appreciate your time, Mr. Answer Man. The more info out there, the better. I, too, am glad my in-laws have an Internet conneciton, for the very same reasons. I figure if I've got these seemingly odd questions, someone else has probably thought about them, too. Hopefully, we can build up a reasonable knowledge base here. I've already learned a lot Smile

I don't know a thing about seaplanes (other than I think I need one!), so I'm happy for any info I get. Especially since nobody seems to be using the seaplane forums. I never thought about the floats being ahead of the CG, but it makes sense. The vertical stab area makes perfect sense now.

Appreciate the insight.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vertical stab variations Reply with quote

Does the larger vertical stab area negatively affect aircraft performance when on wheels? Seems like more sail area if landing in a crosswind. I've never flown in a tailwheel aircraft, and I've got kind of a fear of the dreaded ground loop I keep hearing about. I was out on Controller.com last night looking at C-175s and C-185s and many of them had damage history from ground loops, although they claim to have been repaired.

Best regards,
Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: