Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

52 overhaul schedules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: 52 overhaul schedules Reply with quote

52 overhaul schedules plus IRAN

I know nothing about CJ6 maintenance,but suspect that, in military use, it is pretty similar to Yak-52.

For the Yak-52 in Soviet use, every aircraft was returned to a major overhaul facility at 500 hours, with an extension to 600 hours where appropriate, and totally overhauled.

This means it was stripped down to the last night and bolt and then rebuilt as a new aircraft.  This is not IRAN, but a total rebuild! 

Obviously the State was paying and so no cost consideration; the aircraft were being flown very hard, but the fact remains that is the level of maintenance that was expected. 

Obviously more gentle western use should be reflected in less onerous maintenance, but that is what the manufacturer intended.  In the UK, we  have persuaded Yakovlev and the UK CAA that the 600 hour overhaul can be replaced with a detailed inspection, but even this involves wings and tail removal; engine out; x-rays / magnaflax etc. every 600 hours 

If there is a problem through lack of maintenance, I suspect that an excuse that the maintenance was not locally compulsory would not be accepted! 

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Herefordshire
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel:  +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
brian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: 52 overhaul schedules Reply with quote

Richard Goode wrote:
Quote:
52 overhaul schedules plus IRAN

I know nothing about CJ6 maintenance,but suspect that, in military use,
it is pretty similar to Yak-52.

For the Yak-52 in Soviet use, every aircraft was returned to a major
overhaul facility at 500 hours, with an extension to 600 hours where
appropriate, and *totally overhauled. *

That is similar to the Chinese schedule.
Quote:

This means it was stripped down to the last night and bolt and then
rebuilt as a new aircraft. This is not IRAN, but a total rebuild!

That is different. The Chinese IRAN, not overhaul. But then they throw
the airplane away at 3000 hours.

Quote:
Obviously the State was paying and so no cost consideration; the
aircraft were being flown very hard, but the fact remains that is the
level of maintenance that was expected.

Obviously more gentle western use should be reflected in less onerous
maintenance, but that is what the manufacturer intended. In the UK, we
have persuaded Yakovlev and the UK CAA that the 600 hour overhaul can be
replaced with a detailed inspection, but even this involves wings and
tail removal; engine out; x-rays / magnaflax etc. every 600 hours

That does seem a bit stiff.

Quote:
If there is a problem through lack of maintenance, I suspect that an
excuse that the maintenance was not locally compulsory would not be
accepted!

I don't think it would be here either. The FAA would probably slap you
with the "careless and reckless" clause because you ignored accepted
maintenance procedures and it caused an incident or accident.

BTW, did Sean Carroll ever pay you the money he owes you? I still
haven't gotten anything out of him.

--
Brian Lloyd 2243 Cattle Dr.
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: 52 overhaul schedules Reply with quote

Richard,

I was aware of the 500 hour rebuild in Russia and what was accomplished during them, from talking at length with Vladimir Yastremski and Sergei Boriak. 

What I was not aware of was your mention of xrays and magnafluxing. 

Do you have details on those inspections that the Russians were doing (regarding Non Destructive Inspections [NDI]), or are these inspections something that you have come up with locally? 

Thanks for the information.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

[quote] --

BasiliereR(at)ci.boulder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: 52 overhaul schedules Reply with quote

It's in the SU-29 manuals.  Magnaflux and some kinda ultra sound test for the composite wings - hasn't applied until this year for me  - the rear wing spar attachment thing.  But, "it's in there"

If you want the Sukhoi -word for word - contact me off list I'll copy it for you.
Rick b

Quote:
>> BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoint.usmc.mil 1/23/2006 4:36:03 PM >>>

Richard,

I was aware of the 500 hour rebuild in Russia and what was accomplished during them, from talking at length with Vladimir Yastremski and Sergei Boriak. 

Do you have details on those inspections that the Russians were doing (regarding Non Destructive Inspections [NDI]), or are these inspections something that you have come up with locally? 

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

[quote] --

BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: 52 overhaul schedules Reply with quote

I appreciate the offer Rick, but it would seem to me that the requirements would differ between the YAK-50 and the SU-29 by quite a margin given their massive difference in design.  Still.... metal is metal..... so yes, I would be interested in hearing what exactly they are looking for cracks in. 

I don't keep up much with Sukes... but does this rear spar deal also apply to the 26's and 31's and if so, how often?  I have friends here with both aircraft and I do not see them making any special inspections... and I'd know.  Perhaps they are overlooking something important?  If you know of a mandatory rear spar inspection using magnaflux on the SU-26's or 31's PLEASE let me know ASAP!  

Mark Bitterlich

[quote] -----Original Message-----
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of Richard Basiliere
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 7:17 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: 52 overhaul schedules
It's in the SU-29 manuals.  Magnaflux and some kinda ultra sound test for the composite wings - hasn't applied until this year for me  - the rear wing spar attachment thing.  But, "it's in there"

If you want the Sukhoi -word for word - contact me off list I'll copy it for you.
Rick b

Quote:
>> BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoint.usmc.mil 1/23/2006 4:36:03 PM >>>

Richard,

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

[quote] --

BasiliereR(at)ci.boulder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: 52 overhaul schedules Reply with quote

I understand.  I was just putting in my 1 cents worth that the Russians do think about that techno stuff.

The cracking problem was identified in Nik Timofeev's SU-29 and applies only to the -29.  He found his port side rear spar attach fitting broken and the starboard cracked.  So, I think this is a one time thing.  The Russians, from what I've gathered from their communications on it think its an anomaly and are treating it as such.  The Friendly Aviation Agency is pushing as hard as it legitimately can to issue this as an AD.  My notification was on "FAA AD letterhead" so to speak - you know -the same format.  So...according the FAA it is mandatory for we SU-29 drivers only. 

I started my Annual Conditional Inspection a few days ago and mine are fine - both sides.  I think Nik's is a unique case but it doesn't take much at all to check while you have the sides off the airplane off for inspection anyway.

Yak-50 huh?  A great relative to have.  I never flew one but Azat (my Ukraine bud - National Champion) loves the darned things he flew/flys them for the "Yakovlevs" UK Akro formation group when he's not flying Capt. on B-737 for Ukraine International Airlines (yea Azat).

Respectfully, rick b

Quote:
>> BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoint.usmc.mil 1/23/2006 5:28:38 PM >>>

I appreciate the offer Rick, but it would seem to me that the requirements would differ between the YAK-50 and the SU-29 by quite a margin given their massive difference in design.  Still.... metal is metal..... so yes, I would be interested in hearing what exactly they are looking for cracks in. 

I don't keep up much with Sukes... but does this rear spar deal also apply to the 26's and 31's and if so, how often?  I have friends here with both aircraft and I do not see them making any special inspections... and I'd know.  Perhaps they are overlooking something important?  If you know of a mandatory rear spar inspection using magnaflux on the SU-26's or 31's PLEASE let me know ASAP!  

Mark Bitterlich

[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: