Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Installation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icrashrc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

I've added a couple pics of the engine installation on my Xtra.
http://ill-eagleaviation.com/EngineInstallation.htm

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

www.ill-EagleAviation.com

do not archive

Last edited by icrashrc on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

Quote:
I've added a couple pics of the engine installation on me Xtra.
> --------

Quote:
Scott

Hi Scott:

You mentioned oil temp and water temp on your engine installation web page.

The 912ULS (and 912UL) are concerned with oil temp and cylinder head metal
temp. Don't believe there are limits for water temp since it is not a
required parameter to measure.

There are three temp three temp senders on the engine. They are identical.
One is for engine oil temp, and the other two measure #2 and #3 CHT (one for
tractor and one for pusher configuration).

I discovered the engine runs better is the CHT is kept above 180F. Nothing
in the book about that.

You will probably have to block part of the coolant radiator to get the CHT
and engine oil temp up to the minimum of 190F (to burn off condensation in
the oil system).

John W kept each end of his radiator taped year round.

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

> I've added a couple pics of the engine installation on me Xtra.
> --------
Quote:
Scott

Scott:

Missed the location of the oil cooler. Will be interested to see how well
it cools in that location. Probably will be ok.

I piggy back my oil cooler on the radiator. My oil temps run higher than
average, even with the largest size Rotax cooler, except, of course, during
the winter months.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
vicsv(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

That install looks good. i had a chute to contend with up front. I don't know about the 100 hp
but John was right when he said the 912ul runs cool. Just before that i had removed my oil cooler
and saw 190 deg for the first time. He also mentioned (John H.) quite awhile back that the 912 didn't like conical filters. Maybe he could comment on that again as I have forgotten.

Vic
Xtra 912ul
conical filters
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

Hi Vic:

The 100 horse generates much more heat than the 80.

My understanding is the Bing carbs on the 912's were not designed to operated in the pusher configuration, air stream blasting the air filters and carb intakes head on. Frank Reyen designed a way to reverse the intake manifolds and fly his carbs on the back side of the engine. On BMW two cylinder engines, the carbs are mounted on the back side of the cylinders. The Bing has two static ports is it reading to decide where the piston will be located, in conjunction with the throttle valve, to adjust mixture. One port is what is commonly referred to as the float chamber vent tube and the other is a port on the lip of the carb intake.  These ports need to be reading undisturbed static pressure in order to do their jobs correctly. John W overcame this by running the flat (cake pan) type K&N filters. I did it with filter covers that came with a carb heat system I purchased some time back. Before I installed the covers, airflow would blown the fuel vapor stand off at the mouth of the carb out the side of the filter and on the carb and engine. My 912 engines ran ok with conical filters, but made a mess of brown fuel stain on them. One of these days I will remove the filter covers and see if I can detect any difference in performance.

john h
mkIII
Quote:

That install looks good. i had a chute to contend with up front. I don't know about the 100 hp
but John was right when he said the 912ul runs cool. Just before that i had removed my oil cooler
and saw 190 deg for the first time. He also mentioned (John H.) quite awhile back that the 912 didn't like conical filters. Maybe he could comment on that again as I have forgotten.

Vic

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
icrashrc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

John,

I noticed your filter covers as a new addition and have been meaning to ask about them. Now i know!
My Rotax 912 operators manual has specs for coolant temp. It says in part that coolant temp max[exit temp] 120c [248f]. It also says permanent monitoring of coolant temp and cylinder temp is necessary. I can make the .PDF of my operators manual available for download from my website if you want.

do not archive
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

Quote:
My Rotax 912 operators manual has specs for coolant temp.

--------
Scott

Hi Scott:

Must be something new.

I can take a gander at the manual on Kodiak.

Thanks,

john h

Titus, Alabama
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

John H.

I really like your conical covers for the K&N air filters that come on the 912. I also have the fuel stains you describe on my engine. I wonder even more what going through heavy rain would do to the filters, if flying through heavy rain could get them soaked enough to induce an engine failure ? Do you know where I can get a set of the covers that you have ?

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

Scott,

I really like what you did with the radiators on your Kolb, I have always thought about moving my radiators away from behind the cage, and putting a sharp V aluminum fairing back there like John H has. I was just not sure where to move the radiators to... On front of the engine would be almost no drag, and keep clean air in the prop. Where did you get the hardware to mount the radiators on the front of the engine ? I looked at your pictures, could you post a few pictures showing more of the mounting details ?

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

> I really like your conical covers for the K&N air filters that come on
the 912. I also have the fuel stains you describe on my engine. I wonder
even more what going through heavy rain would do to the filters, if flying
through heavy rain could get them soaked enough to induce an engine failure
? Do you know where I can get a set of the covers that you have ?
Quote:

Mike

Mike:

I have spent days flying in heavy rain with never a hint of engine miss fire
or failure with the conical K&N filters.

Did nearly lose the engine on my FS, Rotax 447, after flying through a rain
storm. It did result in a precautionary landing and I was losing power when
I turned to final in a drainage ditch south of Crystal River, Florida, in
Hernando County. Also ate up an unprotected wood prop. ;-(

I paid 385.00 for a hot water carb heat system which included the covers. I
flew with the carb heat system for a few years, then uninstalled everything
except the filter covers.

I bought them through a guy that was selling 912 powered trikes at Lakeland
about 2001.

Should be able to lay up a couple in glass if you have that particular
expertise.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

> I have spent days flying in heavy rain with never a hint of engine miss
fire
Quote:
or failure with the conical K&N filters.

Mike:

Need to add: The K&N filters were not covered when I was doing the flying
in heavy rain. Most of that was in Yukon Territory and British Columbia
during my 1994 flight to Alaska.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

I to have used the K&N filters in rain. No problems while at cruse RPM. I
have had trouble after sitting on the ground waiting on light rain or misty
weather to clear with the engine not running up to full take off RPM. This
has happened on two occasions. Both times I removed the filters , the engine
ran to correct RPM. On these occasions I returned to my home airport without
problem. When the filters dried out I put them back on , no problems . The
way I see it when the engine is pulling plenty of air it will keep the
filter pods clear. When left sitting the water build up will prevent
sufficent air to pass though the filters reducing HP . Flying in rain is no
fun and it chews up those wooden props fast.
Tony
Downunder
MK111c 503
---

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

Quote:
My Rotax 912 operators manual has specs for coolant temp.

--------
Scott

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The last time I visited with LEAF about water temp, I was interested in
putting in a thermostat to control min. water temps so my heater would work
better in cool temps.... I was told that there was no minimum water
temp... only a maximum temp. that is why there was no provision for a
thermostat in the system.

Boyd Young
MKIIIC
Utah

icrashrc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

Mike,

I'm tempted to ignore your request after the way you welcomed me to this list when i joined. In the end i've decided to be a better person than you. It wasn't too difficult...

I started with the 912 installation kit from Travis (at) Kolb. All the unique mounting hardware was fabricated in house. The fitted coolant hoses came from Autozone. I will add more detail to the engine installation page in the next few days.

JetPilot wrote:
Scott,

I really like what you did with the radiators on your Kolb, I have always thought about moving my radiators away from behind the cage, and putting a sharp V aluminum fairing back there like John H has. I was just not sure where to move the radiators to... On front of the engine would be almost no drag, and keep clean air in the prop. Where did you get the hardware to mount the radiators on the front of the engine ? I looked at your pictures, could you post a few pictures showing more of the mounting details ?

Mike

do not archive
icrashrc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

A few more pics have been added to

If there's any specific questions feel free to ask.

do not archive
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Engine installation Reply with quote

Scott- That is a nice, neat installation. I do see a loose nut- are you going to disassemble, or did you take a photo in progress?

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

lucien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

icrashrc wrote:
A few more pics have been added to

If there's any specific questions feel free to ask.

Can't tell from the photo but is the drain plug offset to the side of that brace? Just wondering what oil changes will be like with the tank up there?

LS

icrashrc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Installation Reply with quote

The first oil changes will probably be easiest to do by unhooking the oil lines and removing the tank. I'll probably machine a 90deg extension that will fit in the bottom of the tank and install a Curtis drain valve in the other end. Then it will be a simple matter of hooking up a hose, then opening the drain valve.

Quote:

Can't tell from the photo but is the drain plug offset to the side of that brace? Just wondering what oil changes will be like with the tank up there?

LS

do not archive
icrashrc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine installation Reply with quote

Good eye! Pics were taken in process. Everything was tightened before we ran the engine. After we finish the center gap fill we'll take it all back apart for paint and covering.

williamtsullivan(at)att.n wrote:
Scott- That is a nice, neat installation. I do see a loose nut- are you going to disassemble, or did you take a photo in progress?

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.

do not archive
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Engine Installation Reply with quote

> Can't tell from the photo but is the drain plug offset to the side of
that brace? Just wondering what oil changes will be like with the tank up
there?
Quote:

LS

LS:

I pull my tank to change oil. This also gives me a chance to rinse the tank
out with gasoline, take it apart, and inspect the innards.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: