Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing flat AGM back from the dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparigoris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Bringing flat AGM back from the dead Reply with quote

Hi Group
Figured would mention how we brought back four 12 volt 100 amp AGM batteries from the dead. They are being used on a Solar System. About 6 months old. Anyway the charge controller decided to fail and stopped all charging and put a load on batteries. They were flat for about 3 weeks: two reading 5.2 volts and the other two were at 5.5 volts.
I have a 4 station 750mA Battery Tender.
The two 5.2 volters wouldn't take a charge, used a 2 amp charger for about 4 hours, then put on the Battery Tender. The two 5.5 volters started taking a charge right away. Note: For the first day they were only taking 150mA to begin with, then after 6 hours went up to 350mA.
After a week all peaked and were floating.
Then put a 10 amp load for 2 hours and charged with a 10 amp charger for 2 hours and put on the Battery Tender till Float.
Then put a 10 amp load for 4 hours, then a 10 amp charger for 4 hours and put the Battery Tender till float.
Just checked with a load tester and they seem OK. Put on Battery Tender and they are all floating now.
Looks like the Scrap Yard won't get these 4 examples, but they will be getting their hands on the charge controller.
Ron

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Bringing flat AGM back from the dead Reply with quote

Ron,Good report and results... 
It would be interesting if they still have their full AH rating after reviving from the dead.
Battery Tenders... I use a lot of them.
One nasty problem:  If the wall power fails, i.e. GFI trips and you don't reset it, the BT's will take the battery back down to the dead zone as they usually don't have a blocking diode as part of the charging output.
Dave
On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 4:42 PM rparigoris <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rparigoris" <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)>

Hi Group
Figured would mention how we brought back four 12 volt 100 amp AGM batteries from the dead. They are being used on a Solar System. About 6 months old. Anyway the charge controller decided to fail and stopped all charging and put a load on batteries. They were flat for about 3 weeks: two reading 5.2 volts and the other two were at 5.5 volts.
I have a 4 station 750mA Battery Tender.
The two 5.2 volters wouldn't take a charge, used a 2 amp charger for about 4 hours, then put on the Battery Tender. The two 5.5 volters started taking a charge right away. Note: For the first day  they were only taking 150mA to begin with, then after 6 hours went up to 350mA.
After a week all peaked and were floating.
Then put a 10 amp load for 2 hours and charged with a 10 amp charger for 2 hours and put on the Battery Tender till Float.
Then put a 10 amp load for 4 hours, then a 10 amp charger for 4 hours and put the Battery Tender till float.
Just checked with a load tester and they seem OK. Put on Battery Tender and they are all floating now.
Looks like the Scrap Yard won't get these 4 examples, but they will be getting their hands on the charge controller.
Ron

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=511609#511609

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Bringing flat AGM back from the dead Reply with quote

Quote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 4:42 PM rparigoris <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)> wrote: --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rparigoris" <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)>
Hi Group Figured would mention how we brought back four 12 volt 100 amp AGM batteries from the dead. They are being used on a Solar System. About 6 months old. Anyway the charge controller decided to fail and stopped all charging and put a load on batteries. They were flat for about 3 weeks: two reading 5.2 volts and the other two were at 5.5 volts. I have a 4 station 750mA Battery Tender.

<snip>

Quote:
Put on Battery Tender and they are all floating now. Looks like the Scrap Yard won't get these 4 examples, but they will be getting their hands on the charge controller. Ron

Dead battery recovery is not impossible . . . see: Section 5.6, page 23
of this document.

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Batteries/Concorde/Chairman_Technical_Manual.pdf

The operative phrase in this excerpt is "Batteries in this
condition may SOMETIMES be recovered".

Indeed, I've read military qualification requirements for
Concorde products where a battery is deliberately discharge
to the degree that shorting jumpers are placed across cells
for a period of time whereupon a recovery process is
exercised; the battery MUST recover to some acceptable
metric.

I suspect there can be large differences in the ability
of various battery products to pass this test . . .
particularly in the relatively short time frame
in a laboratory environment.

Have you conducted cap checks on your recovered
batteries?

Bob . . .

////
  (o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

rparigoris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing flat AGM back from the dead Reply with quote

Hi Bob
The Batteries are 110 amp AGM 12 volt. We load tested them for 10 seconds at 300 amps. All 4 were about the same, after 10 seconds voltage was 9.6 to 9.8 volts. We were about 55F temperature.
I didn't load or capacity test these batteries when new.
At 55f we ran each battery with a 8.95 amp load for 3.33 hours (approx. 30 aHs). Each battery ended with approx. 12.0 volts. Ranged between .4 volts of each other. On a generic graph I have, it shows a lead acid battery with a c/10 load at 50% capacity at 12.0 volts. That's the only capacity testing we did. In service they need to run at 5 amps for 2 hours most of the time.
Do you have any other recommendations on capacity test try?
Ron P.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Bringing flat AGM back from the dead Reply with quote

At 08:02 PM 10/17/2023, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rparigoris" <rparigor(at)hotmail.com>

Hi Bob
The Batteries are 110 amp AGM 12 volt. We load tested them for
10 seconds at 300 amps. All 4 were about the same, after 10
seconds voltage was 9.6 to 9.8 volts.

That seems a bit 'soggy' for 110 ah batteries. The
'cranking test' that was standard at B&C for years
was to apply a load that produces a terminal voltage
of 9V and hold it for 15 seconds. Read the 9v current
at the 15 second mark. New, 18AH SVLA batteries would
routinely produce 500+ amps over that interval.

Just for grins, I've got a group 65 battery in
the shop with a 1200W inverter bonded to the side.
Handy for portable power in the field.

It's got a August 2019 manufacturing date
sticker. The sticker cranking value is 850A.
I just did a 9V/15S load test on it and got
a value of 620 Amps. It had not been topped
off in some time so I left it in the care of a
YONHAN charger.

I'll do a WestMountain Radio CAP check on it
in the morning. The battery weighs about 55
pounds so I would expect it to have a new
capacity on the order of 50AH.

After I suck out and measure all its juices, I'll
recharge with the YONHAN and plot the curve. This is
going to take a few days so I'll have to report
back.

(I'm in process of setting up a vacuum pump
drive pad test stand with an 8-30A electrical
system mockup. It will feature an electronic
load bank capable of much larger loads than
my WMR battery tester . . . so I'll be able
to evaluate big batteries in less time. I
dug out a data acquisition system I last used
on a project at Beech. It's an 8-channel, 12-
bit system capable of 1000 samples/second. The
quality of my data plots should take a quantum
jump!)

Bob . . .

////
(o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: